Wednesday 1 October 2014

The People on the Bus

I've been utilizing the public transit system of late. In my usual style I fought, kicking and screaming into change. And once I released resistance and relaxed into the adventure part of my routine disruption, it's okay. Because we can't be anything but okay.

I live in the suburbs. I work in the city. Albeit on a small scale compared to some areas - my drive to work was typically 15 minutes and some days I'd only hit 3 or 4 red lights - parking is a major problem of a reptilian nature. It's not the fees - though what is available is ridiculously overpriced - parking just doesn't exist.
Parking in itself is about the biggest capitalist scam goin'... A self-perpetuating money grab. Charge people an exorbitant amount of which has no correlation to anything.
Here's a thought... how about a structurally balanced, self-sustaining service where everybody wins. It can exist.

What space was available has rapidly diminished leading many commuters to creative and desperate measures including the block game. Every hour to 90 minutes numerous staff deek out of the building to shuffle their vehicle around the block seeking another limited safe zone. I played for awhile, not a bad thing really, gets you up and moving, fresh air and all. Pop in at the store, grab a coupla licorice (usually 4 red, 2 black), lotto tickets if it's Friday.

However being one to test the boundaries of prit near everything, it wasn't long before I accrued numerous tickets and thus succumbed to change.

Why haven't I done this before one might ask? The public transit stop is roughly 100 yards from my front door and drops me off directly across from my building. And the bus schedule perfectly matches my work schedule. I bow down and thank thee, my beloved Universe. Dare I ask for a covered shelter to be built before the winter rain comes?

Although I'm not ready to commit to a full-on bus pass, I do buy my tickets in lots of 10 for a minimal discount and I don't feel quite the bus-world-tourist as to put change in the meter. Every culture has its rating system.

It's been good for me in a spiritual opening of the compassionate heart kind-of-way, being exposed to this cross section of my world. Another push of out the comfort zone. I've observed patterns and people's routines. An unspoken awareness and camaraderie is present among regular riders.

I don't know where all this wide-spread fear, all too evident in the daily news, comes from? 

As I move about my day I'm exposed to a significant amount of humans who, like me, are moving about their day. Smile at someone and usually, delighted at the overture they smile back. Admittedly I 'plug in' with my Sony earbuds and lose myself in my tunes cause too many people want to talk...

I tell ya, the People on the Bus have restored my faith in humanity. Cause the best part of all ... as they disembark, 95 per cent of riders holler Thank You and acknowledge the driver who has safely delivered them to their destination.

It's a beautiful thing. Love is alive and well among the masses!





No comments:

Post a Comment