Friday 4 October 2013

Jesus came in under the door

AEN  Alfred E. Neumann look-alike  religious solicitor
CJ  Cuppa Joy me
KBB  Kind Beautiful Being  daughter-in-law

I have a picture of Jesus on my desk. He came in under my front door. It went down like this:


It's about 6pm on a weeknight, I'm prepping dinner for the fam. There's a knock at the door which is somewhat unusual. I answer the door and straight away recognize the scene. Solicitors from the neighbourhood Mormon Church. Only this time it's an early 20s pair, rather than the regular rotation of seniors. One of them bears an uncanny likeness to THE Face of Mad magazine.

I am respectful of other humans and their beliefs. Live and let live.

After the niceties I cut Alfred E. Neuman look-alike off.
CJ  I am happy in my belief system. Thank you. I'm making dinner for my family, and I'm not prepared to have a discussion.
As I'm closing the door AEN continues to speak. Blah, blah, blah.

I walk back into the kitchen. My daughter-in-law looks at me somewhat bewildered.

KBB  He was still talking.
CJ  I wasn't rude. Besides to me they're crossing boundaries by comin' to the door.
KBB  I've never seen that.

I now think she's yet again shocked by my gypsy-driven behaviour. She elaborates.

KBB  I've only lived in rural areas and that never happens.

Her disbelief is their audacity. Whew. I'm relieved. My conduct has incurred many an eye-rolling sigh (not necessarily from her...)

A couple hours later I head out the front door and there He is. A 3x4.5 glossy pic of glowing JC hand gently outstretched. The reverse side of the card reads "Faith in Christ can help you resolve personal and family challenges."

I find this amusing. Those lil rascals slipped it under the door perhaps implying I was in need of salvation. Was it my tattoos? Provocative clothing? Candor? Little did those youth-in-programming consider I live spirit at a level deeper than their allowed-comprehension. Or maybe I'm feeling a bit smug and they were just doing their thang.



I was drivin’ home early Sunday morning
Through Bakersfield,
Listening to gospel music on the coloured radio station,
And the preacher said: “You know you always have the lord by your side”
And I was so pleased to be informed of this
That I ran twenty red lights in his honour,
Thank you Jesus, thank you lord

Thank you Mick.

Thank you Mark.


No comments:

Post a Comment